HERE’S WHAT HAPPENED
I was sitting in the waiting area in a small boutique eyeglass shop that is in an old house, formerly a residence, but now zoned for commercial use.
I was having my spectacles adjusted. The optician helping me had taken my glasses with her into the back of the house, probably into what was formerly [maybe still is?] the kitchen, to have her way with them.
Across the room from me a different optician was talking with a man who was ordering new glasses. The room we were in was what would have been the living/dining room, with an 8′ ceiling, about 20′ x 15′ in size.
This man hadn’t gotten new glasses in over 12 years. The optician had found his file, a paper one, and was confirming details by saying things about him out loud to him.
BUT THERE WAS THIS LITTLE ISSUE WITH ACOUSTICS
Inadvertently I was overhearing everything that was being said between these two people. I didn’t want to hear but I did. I’ve changed the specific details to protect his identity, but the following is what I know about this man:
- his former residence is 123 Oak Street in one community;
- his current residence, that he moved into in 2017, is 4567 Eagle’s Nest Drive in a different community;
- his last name is Smith;
- his legal first name is Frederick, but he goes by his middle name, Daniel, preferring to be called Dan;
- his wife’s name is Martha;
- his brother who also buys glasses in this boutique is named Will;
- he has no children;
- he confirmed the date of his birth, he is 44 years old;
- he confirmed his cell phone number, mentioning that he’s had it for years
- he used to work for Blah Blah Blah Corporation but now works from home for Yada Yada Yada Corporation;
- his medical insurance is Boring Useless Insurance Company;
- he no longer has a checking account with Fancy Regional Bank; and
- he prefers to use his Visa for large purchases because he gets points for travel on Whoop-ass Airline.
The optician didn’t ask about the following but in the course of their conversation I also learned that:
- he drives a BMW that was parked outside directly in front of this business;
- he and his wife have been remodeling their house using Super Duper Home Remodeling Company; and
- they have a vacation planned for August.
Obviously I accidentally know a lot about this man, the proverbial ship I passed in the night. If I was a person with nefarious intentions I could easily have snapped a fast photo of him + his car’s license plate, then assumed his identity by knowing these random, but incredibly personal, details about him.
KIND OF SCARY, HUH?
Please discuss 😳