Let’s discuss this, shall we?
• I remember parking beside Cranky McCrankerton’s vehicle, a huge van. It was to the right of me. I had to be very careful not to hit it as I pulled into the last spot available in the compact parking lot that has only one way in & out.
• I had parked my car at a slight angle because I was accommodating the car already parked to the left of me. That car was accommodating the car that was parked illegally in the spot to its left. Beyond the illegally parked car was grass, the end of the line, nowhere else to go.
• I believe that the intent of this note is to criticize me and what Cranky McCrankerton believes to be my sloppy parking job. Lovely use of sarcasm, no?
• I was aware that I had left a tight squeeze for Cranky McCrankerton, but felt that it was ok because: all the spaces in this parking lot are very narrow; and because I know that my doctor’s receptionist is a stickler for being on time— and I fear her wrath more than any anonymous van driver.
• From this note I learned that Cranky McCrankerton is a flexible, able-bodied human being capable of entering his or her van from either side of the vehicle.
• This fact suggests that I might be incorrect about my initial assumption re: the intent of this note. In which case, I must conclude that this is a thank you note to me from Cranky McCrankerton. Very succinctly worded, no?
• So what do we think?
- Was this note– readable and polite as it is– really necessary?
- Do we think that it is possible that Cranky McCrankerton has lots of issues in his or her life?
- Should I feel bad about mildly inconveniencing someone who drives a vehicle that by its very size is always in the way?
- Tonight, when saying my prayers, will I include this anonymous person among my blessings for giving me the most unexpected laugh of my week?
… as usual, answers & discussion in comments below.